Please Remember

After another bout of him claiming I was stalking him (maybe?), he didn't believe my words, so I gave him the one thing that might stir the real Zillah inside his demon body; the black diamond engagement ring that he had insisted I take when he proposed marriage.

It's strange how we have connections to objects. The blood and tears that went into the story of this ring make it my most prized possession. It was a promise that he wanted to be mine, that he truly did care, but with the recent changes of his loyalties, this promise was lost in the whirlwind of possession, Hell, and summons by another.

Last night I was considering my options, spraypainting my favorite propaganda in the alley by the Warehouse. I thought that by giving the ring back to him, he'd either disappear completely, or it would stir the curiosity in him. He snuck up on me, just as I was finishing my green, splattered words. Apparently, "Where has the Revenant gone?" didn't stir any memories, but the ring did. After eyeballing the fresh art, the first words out of his mouth were, "The Gates of Hell. Wos that you?"

Something had ... clicked. He had to have come up with this on his own, one of his own memories. And it seemed as though a flash of memory hit him, because he started spilling facts about what had happened, about Imri, and the blood trees, and the ring on my finger. When he pulled out my ring, another click, another flinch as he questioned the ring, it's purpose and meaning.

I was reminded of when Zillah came home bloody in what seemed ages ago, when the Professor was using the demon Asmodeus to do his dirty work. It was all very Dr. Jekyll, Mr. Hyde-ish, with the two dominant forces battling for control over his scarred and pale body. In one moment, you could see the clarity in his eyes, when he realized what was happening, and then there were times that you ... questioned if you shouldn't be running for your life in that moment.

It was the same now, the ever present battle between my lover and the demon he consumed; the consequences of letting the unpredictable and shady Professor Xylander splice and magic the demon into his flesh. Where would we be now if the Professor never came back to town? I know that there wouldn't have been the same up and downs, or what the old man Rowane would call a "necessary killing." Perhaps Zillah and I would have been married, on Halloween like we planned. And most importantly, he would have never lost his soul to Imri, and then been summoned by some necromancer girl-child.

I fear what will happen next. He's starting to remember, I just hope he remembers the right things that will bring him back.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goodbye

Easy Does It